Is Computational Media important? Why?
In my project for this week, the setup function shows the image captured from the camera and asks for a color to search for (the color can be selected by clicking on some point of the image), then the program displays pixels of a pre-recorded video instead of all the pixels of the image captured from the camera that are of that color (and within a threshold), while the rest of the image turns to random noise (colors). I feel like the computer is having a hard time finding the color I want it to look for (and similar ones to that color), and is looking for colors of similar darkness instead. I’ll try working on this but I like what is happening anyway.
Here are the code and the video files I used for my project:
(For testing: I find it best to click on my mouth or some sort of middle-dark, possibly pinkish color, that gives the best results.)
Although I already managed to make my squares move by Wednesday, they still did not do what I initially planned so I went on trying. Eventually I managed to sort of get where I wanted, but I am glad it took me a while as the graphics that were created in the development process are actually more interesting.
My code fills the window with a pattern of colorful squares of decreasing size in each new row over and over again, until the size of the squares become minimal. Here are some images generated by changing the starting size, rate of change, or colors of the squares:
For my Computer Graphics art recreation project (see on the top below), I decided to attempt to faithfully recreate the following image (on the bottom below) from the 1978 issue of Computer Graphics and Art:
That is the only instruction, along with three circles of different color, on the “menu” page, the default starting page of my drawing machine. My intention was to create a program which gives the users a sense of discovery and surprise.
For this week’s procect we were supposed to imitate some movement of a human or animal. First, I was considering creating a cyclist but even though I had a clear idea how to make its legs move, I realized it would be rather hard to hide the servo and I was also unable to come up with an idea for the part where the legs join the body (the legs would have had to be bendable and movable). Then, I touhgt of creating a walking person. Although this would have fixed my problem with the leg joints, I had to drop the idea as syncing the movement of the legs proved to be too difficult. So I ended up creating a person that is sweeping. Continue reading “Sweeping”
For my stupid pet trick, I was planning on creating a head that “lives” in a box, which can be opened in multiple ways, to arrive at different questions the head would ask each time. However, using servos for even the rotating display of the question proved to be difficult (due to the weight of the component), thus I changed my project and turned it into an interactive and friendly head, Completely Bodiless Nick. Different inputs, for instance a “high five”, make him react in different ways. Continue reading “Completely Bodiless Nick”