Week 9 | Analog + Digital input & output: “Mario’s Magic Light-Up Mushroom” Assignment

Mario’s Magic Light-Up Mushroom:

The inspiration for my project struck me when I found myself without my Nintendo Switch, unable to play one of my all-time favorite games since childhood, ‘Mario Party.’ This game is filled with quirky and fun elements like the lucky block and the magical mushroom, both of which can greatly influence your journey in the game.

So, I decided to base my project on the game. It’s not only a personal passion but also a nostalgic trip down memory lane. I believe it’s a creative concept that encapsulates the magic of ‘Mario Party,’ and I had the input of my friends to help shape the idea.











The structure of my project revolves around the use of buttons and sensors from the SparkFun kit, which I gained an understanding of during one of our classes.

The materials I used are a printed out image of the iconic mushroom and lucky block from the game. These images were carefully mounted on cardboard for durability, and I affixed them with tape on the to ensure they could withstand the project.

The red is controlled by the sensor, The yellow is controlled by the button

The code provided in class examples played a crucial role in helping me bring this assignment to life. It served as a valuable starting point and a foundation for what I aimed to achieve. With the help of this code, I’m confident that the project will capture the fun and nostalgia of ‘Mario Party’ while showcasing my newfound skills in working with hardware and sensors.


I must admit that the journey of building the Arduino circuit and working with the breadboard was a bit challenging, but it was also immensely rewarding. I spent a considerable amount of time understanding the components, making connections, and ensuring everything functioned as intended. While it tested my patience at times, it also provided me with invaluable insights into electronics and hardware, which I know will be useful in the future.

Leave a Reply